By frosting hallucinations on |
As I said before, cherries are in abundance here and we have a box full waiting to be eaten. And because cherries are so delicate they go bad really quick. Despite the cherry jam I made last time, there are still a lot left. So, I needed to find a way to use them once again.
I Googled "cherry recipes" and searched for a recipe that would tickle my fancy.
I don't like slices that are too dense or too sweet (well may be at times), mostly I like them light so I can have more of them. :)
I searched and searched and I searched. NOTHING!!
So I drove down to the local library and got a couple of baking books and thankfully found something relevant enough to get baking. :)
The original recipe called for berries but cherry went equally well. My Dad could not stop eating!!
Next time I make this slice Ill make double the batch so everyone gets to have them (or I can just store a couple before anyone gets their hands on them).
Cherry and apple slice
Cherry and apple slice (homestyle magazine)
unsalted butter - 150g
sugar - 310g
eggs - 2
buttermilk - 170ml
vanilla - 1tsp
self-raising flour - 250g
large apples - 2
pitted cherries - 300g
- preheat oven to 180c and line and grease baking tin
- beat the butter and mixture until pale and fluffy, add eggs and beat well
- add in the buttermilk, vanilla and sift in the flour
- spread half of the mixture and slice the apple very thinly and spread over the mixture
- top it with the remaining mixture and scatter the cherries over the top
- bake for 40min or until done